Report: Stranraer 0-2 Rangers Colts

RANGERS Colts have reached the third round of the Tunnock’s Caramel Wafer Challenge Cup after a 2-0 win over League One side Stranraer.

Goals from Josh McPake and Jamie Barjonas were enough to see Graeme Murty’s side into the third round for the first time.

Rangers started well and after two minutes Dapo Mebude used his pace to beat Carlo Pignatiello and drove into the box before getting a powerful shot away which went just over the target.

A few minutes later Nathan Patterson found Josh McPake but his effort was just high of the Stranraer goal.

On the 15th minute Dapo Mebude turned well to play out wide Eros Grezda who fired a dangerous cross across the face of goal aiming for McPake but the ball was turned behind for a corner by a Stranraer defender.

The home side broke up the other end of the park from the corner as Ryan Thomson was through on goal but his drilled shot was straight into the arms of Keiran Wright.

Stranraer had a another chance on the 22nd minute as a Carlo Pignatiello cross landed at Ian Smith but his effort drifter over the Rangers goal.

In a spell of chances for the hosts a corner was swung in on the 27th minute which saw a shot from Jamie Hammil cleared off the line by Kai Kennedy before a Ryan Thomson effort was pushed wide by Keiran Wright.

Rangers were awarded a free-kick at the by-line just before the break as Hamill took down Dapo Mebude on the break. Kai Kennedy swung in the cross but it was cleared by the Stranraer defenders.

Early in the second half a corner taken by Kennedy was turned just wide by Daniel Finlayson as the young Gers looked to open the scoring.

The opening did come on the 58th minute as Josh McPake picked up on a loose ball as Stranraer lost possession and worked his way towards goal finding space to drill an effort past Dale Burgess.

Stranraer almost had an equaliser on the 75th minute as Ryan Thomson played in Leon Murphy but the strikers shot across goal drifted just wide of the post.

In an end to end spell Nathan Patterson broke for Rangers and skipped past two Stranraer defenders as he made ground into the box but goalkeeper Burgess blocked the shot with his feet.

The hosts threatened again on the 78th minute as a corner was curled toward goal by James Hilton with Keiran Wright standing tall to block the ball and deny an equaliser.

Rangers doubled their lead on the 81st minute as James Maxwell’s shot was blocked by the keeper but fell for Jamie Barjonas with the Gers captain drilling a low effort into the back of the net.

It was almost three on the 84th minute as Josh McPake turned and hit a shot at goal but hit the side netting.

Rangers: Wright, Houston, Patterson, Finlayson, Breen, Thomson, Grezda (Lowry, 83), Barjonas, Mebude, Kennedy (Maxwell 77), McPake. Subs: Kinnear, McClelland, Maxwell, Balde, Butterworth

Stranraer: Burgess, Robertson, Cummins, Hamill, McManus, I. Smith (Mitchell, 68), Pignatiello, D.Smith, Hilton, Murphy, Thomson (Agnew, 80). Subs: Brown, Adair, McIntyre.

This article was originally posted here